1988 MUTCD Revision 3a ERRATA 1
Part VI of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD)
1988 Edition of MUTCD, Revision 3
Publication No. FHWA-SA-94-027
5. On page 31 move the second paragraph -- "Where the color orange is specified, fluorescent red-orange ... " to become the second paragraph under 6F. TYPES OF DEVICES.
6. On page 62 in figure VI-9 Operating Mode III. add an additional arrow display under the Panel Display column that shows four or more lights in a horizontal direction for the Flashing Caution mode.
7. On page 66, section 6F-5 d. (1) Vertical Panels, revise the third sentence in the first paragraph to read:
Panel stripe widths shall be 6 inches, except where panel heights are less than 36 inches,
8. On page 67, section 6F-5 f. Barricades (1) Design, revise the second sentence in the third paragraph to read:
The stripes shall be 6-inches wide, except where rail lengths are less than 36 inches,
9. On page 70, Figure VI-10 Channelizing Devices, the 18-inch Tubular Marker does not need the Retroreflective Band since 18-inch Tubular Markers can not be used at night.
10. On page 71, section 6F-6 a. MARKINGS, revise number (3) to read:
(3) Markings shall be placed, along the entire length of any surfaced detour or temporary roadway, before such detour or roadway is open to traffic.
11. On page 75, section 6F-7d change the third sentence in the first paragraph to read:
However, if lights are needed to delineate the traveled way through and around obstructions in a temporary traffic control zone, the delineation shall be accomplished by steady-burning lamps.
This change will not make warning lights mandatory.
12. On page 78, section 6F-8 (2), add the following sentence to the last paragraph:
For stationary operations, the truck's parking brake should be set and, when possible, the front wheels turned away from the work site. Turning the front wheels should be based on specific conditions at the site such that the after-impact trajectory is into a safe area.
13. On page 78, section 6F-8.b, the third paragraph should be modified to read as follows:
On each side of the roadway only the first two yellow warning lights at the start of a continuous barrier should displays are not to be used on two-lane roadways.
24. On page 145, Figure TA-19, the ONE-WAY arrow sign R6-1 under the DETOUR sign M4-10 should be black on white. The ONE-WAY arrow sign is a regulatory sign.
25. On page 149, Figure TA-21, the channelizing devices form a right taper, the devices should form a left taper to agree with item number 2 on page 148.
26. On page 151, Figure TA-22, the pavement marking are in error; the broken yellow lines going from the bottom to the top of the page should be broken white lines.
27. On page 151, Figure TA-22, the channelizing island formed by the three devices (small orange squares) should be moved up just above the crosswalk closer to the intersection.
28. On page 157, Figure TA-25, add the flag tree symbol above the 1/2L.
29. On page 169, Figure TA-31, the word "optional" under Buffer Space should be deleted to agree with item number 3 on page 168.
30. The word "optional" should be placed below the arrow displays on several pages. This agrees with the first sentence in section 6F-3.b. Listed below are the pages with the respective figure numbers:
On page 169, Figure TA-31; On page 171, Figure TA-32;
31. On page 173, Figure TA-33 the typical diagram on the right hand side needs to be clarified. The word "optional" is for the Truck Mounted attenuator and Arrow Display.
32. On page 195, Figure TA-44 - The diagram on the right-side of the page, "ROAD WORK AHEAD" sign should be orange.
33. The stripes on Type III barricades on some typical application diagrams have been inadvertently shown in the wrong direction. The direction of the stripes should conform the section 6F-5f(1) Barricades, page 68, which states:
Where a barricade extends entirely across the roadway, the stripes should slope downward in the direction toward which traffic must turn. Where both right and left turns are provided, the stripes may slope downward
34. The following are new signs with appropriate numbers to be added in MUTCD Section 6F.
UTILITY WORK AHEAD
SLOW TRAFFIC AHEAD
DETOUR SIGN (with Arrow)
CENTER LANE CLOSED AHEAD
THRU TRAFFIC MERGE
RIGHT TWO LANES CLOSED 1/2 MILE
STAY IN LANE
United States Department of Transportation - Federal Highway Administration