Figure 2E-50. Example of Signing for a Direct Access Ramp to an HOV Lane from a Park & Ride Facility
This figure shows an example of signing for a direct access ramp to an HOV lane from a Park & Ride facility.
The figure shows a horizontal one-way access road that enters a horizontal rectangular park and ride facility from the north and then exits the park and ride facility to the south, curves to the east, and directly enters a horizontal HOV lane. The direct entrance is shown crossing over and joining an HOV lane that is shown in the center of a horizontal divided highway. Both directions of the divided highway are denoted as general purpose lanes. A legend shows an arrow indicating the travel direction on the roadways.
Six sign assemblies are shown:
- The first sign is shown as a vertical rectangular green sign to the right of the horizontal roadway that enters the park and ride facility. The direction of travel is east to west. The sign shows the word "EAST" on the top line, a red and blue Interstate route shield for Interstate 10 on the second line, the word "HOV" in white on the third line, and the word "Lane" in white on the fourth line, and an upward-pointing vertical white arrow on the bottom line.
- The second sign is shown as located over the horizontal roadway beyond the first sign. The distance between the two is denoted as a dimension that "varies." The sign is shown as a horizontal rectangular white sign that shows the white HOV diamond symbol on a black rectangular background in the top left corner. It shows the words "HOV 2+ ONLY" in black on the first line, the words "2 OR MORE PERSONS" in black on the second line, and "PER VEHICLE" in black on the third line, and the words "6 AM – 9 AM MON – FRI" in black on the bottom line.
- The third sign is shown to the right of the roadway beyond the second sign. The distance between the second and third signs is denoted as a dimension that "varies." The sign and panel are shown as identical to the first sign, except a right angle arrow pointing up and to the left is shown instead of one pointing straight up.
- The fourth sign is shown to the right of the roadway beyond a curve to the south and just in advance of the entrance to the park and ride facility. The sign is identical to the first sign, with the arrow pointing straight up.
- The fifth sign is shown over the roadway just beyond the park and ride facility and facing traffic exiting the park and ride facility. It is at the direct entrance to the HOV lanes as it crosses over the highway. It is a horizontal rectangular white sign with the white HOV diamond symbol on a rectangular black background in the top left corner. The words "HOV 2+" in black are shown on the top line, the word "ONLY" in black on the second line, the words "6 AM – 9 AM MON – FRI" in black on the third line, and a downward-pointing vertical black arrow on the bottom line.
- The sixth sign is shown located over the HOV lane in the center of the highway, beyond the point where the direct entrance from the park and ride facility has merged with the HOV lane. It is a horizontal rectangular green sign divided into two sections by a horizontal white line. The white HOV diamond symbol is shown on a rectangular black background in the top left corner of the upper section of the sign, and the words "HOV LANE EXITS" are also shown in the upper section. In the bottom section, on the top line, a red and blue Interstate route shield for Interstate 610 is shown to the left of the numeral "7." On the bottom line, the words "Downtown VIA" are shown to the left of a red and blue Interstate route shield for Interstate 10 to the left of the numeral "9." The numerals are shown vertically aligned near the right edge of the sign. An asterisk to the right of this sign refers to the following note at the bottom of the page: "For access restricted facilities. Destinations may be augmented to accompany routes on Interchange Sequence signs (see Figure 2E-24)."
Notes have the following entries:
- Reference Sections 3B.22 and 3B.23 for additional pavement marking information.
- Reference Sections 2B.26 through 2B.28 and 2E.59 for appropriate text information.
- Additional advisory and warning signs are required.
- Direction of HOV traffic is inbound.
- Sign locations are approximate.
- The word message HOV may be used instead of the diamond symbol.
- The minimum vehicle occupancy requirement on the sign may vary for each facility.
- Overhead HOV signs should supplement ground mounted HOV signs.
- Additional signs may be required to direct drivers from the surrounding streets into the park & ride lot and HOV lane.
- Additional signs are required on the adjoining surface streets to inform non-HOVs that they should not enter the HOV facility.